Comes with instructions (printed tiny) for the Fairy Milk Spell (details below). These Fairy Milk Necklaces are part of the pop-up “shop”, Into the forest, included in the Oracles & Evacuations exhibit. For more details or to get your own Fairy Milk Spell Necklace, click here.
Fairy Milk Spell
*Due to the delicate nature of the materials, the Fairy Milk Spell’s ingredients do not come with this necklace, but they are listed below, and instructions will be included when you order a Spelled Fairy Milk Necklace.
Supplies you will need for this spell
* 2% or whole milk
* Dawn or Joy dish soap in a small cup or container (just a thimble-full will do)
* A dish with a bit of depth (a dinner plate will do)
* red, yellow, green, and blue food coloring
* a cotton swab to use as a magic wand
1. Focus on what you would like to create next in your world. Make it into a wish.
This could be a smile on a particular loved one’s face, or something more ‘objecty’ like a short essay exploring the relationship between television shows featuring characters who are “specialists” in their fields, and the resulting effects of overspecialized language entering popular culture’s arsenal of misunderstood terms in danger of ‘slangifying’ an ever-responsive English dictionary. It could also be an exultant bouquet of flowers. All creations are valid.
2. Pour the milk into the plate until the bottom is covered and the dish is nearly full.
3. Add one drop of each color of food coloring to the milk. The droplets should be near the center of the dish, but not touching each other.
4. The Blessing: Dip the tip of the cotton swab (a.k.a. magic wand) into the soap.
5. Hold onto one end of the wand and dip the soapy end into the center of the milk.
6. Focus on your wish and count to ten while you hold the wand in the milk.
7. If the colors begin to swirl together, you have made fairy milk and your wish is possible!
What should happen:
When you place your cotton wand into the center and hold it perfectly still, suddenly, the colors will begin to spiral and swirl all on their own in beautiful patterns. Each fairy milk spell looks different from every other, but all are swirly and full of colorful motion.
1. the contents of this necklace are not edible! The inside of the glass is painted. Let me know if you would like me to seal the cork so it can’t be opened.
2. And just for those legal eyes’ legalese: Here in the forest, we define ‘magic’ as either science people don’t understand, psychology people don’t understand, or Other. You are responsible for your own wishes. If your wish is something like “I wish to be able to fly” and then you jump off a very tall tree branch instead of going for a ride in an airplane or taking trapeze lessons, that falls under the category of ’you don’t understand magic very well, do you?’ and we are not responsible for the results.
3. Read about why this visually dramatic spell creates an explosion of swirling colors, on a science project blog here.